When my oldest was a baby, I decided to delay the introduction of gluten until she was over a year old. I wanted to make a whole-foods quiche that would be just right for her to eat as part of baby-led weaning. I couldn’t afford the amount of cream for the recipe that I had, so I decided to experiment.
I substituted the cream for double thick yoghurt, which I make at home for a fraction of the cost. I added eggs and cheese (usually cheddar, but use what you have, or leave it out if you prefer!), salt and pepper, and a hint of grated nutmeg. I poured it over some veggies and baked it in the oven. The quiche recipe worked so well I have made it that way ever since!
It’s really easy to make, with only 3 main ingredients. It is infinitely customizable. You can use whatever combination of fillings you like, whatever you have in the fridge, or whatever is growing in your garden.
These are some of our favourites:
- Spinach, onion and mushroom
- Spinach and feta
- Bacon, spinach and mushroom
- Butternut, sweet bell pepper, and feta
- Butternut, spring onion and feta
- Broccoli, chicken and pine nuts
- Broccoli, bacon and mixed seeds
- Caramelized onions, butternut and sage
Simply cook your filling using your method of choice (I usually fry mine in a frying pan), transfer to a flan dish, pour over your quiche mix, and bake until set. A really easy lunch meal, great with a loaf of crusty bread. Also pairs well with a soup as a main meal. Butternut soup and spinach quiche complement each other beautifully. Try some combinations and let me know what works for you!
This whole-foods quiche can also be frozen after cooking. Cover with clingfilm or tin foil, label, and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight or in a warm oven until desired temperature is reached. Makes a great freezer meal gift, paired with a loaf of gluten-free bread.
Serves 8 pieces of quiche
Yields 1 quiche
A whole-foods, gluten-free, budget-friendly quiche recipe!
15 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup double-thick yoghurt
- 1 handful cheese (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated nutmeg (optional)
- Fresh chives or herbs of choice
- Filling ingredients
- Preheat oven to 180C (350F)
- Cook filling ingredients using preferred method.
- Place cooked filling ingredients into a pie dish or flan.
- Whisk together other ingredients.
- Pour over filling ingredients.
- Bake for 45 min or until set.
- Eat warm or cold, with your choice of side.